Wednesday 8 February 2017

3D Modelling: Characters

ZBrush Head Sculpt: Created in Zbrush, this head sculpt served as a start to the model and helped me visualise the character quicker in 3D. I then retopologised it in Maya and began building the body. 
Modelling the body: Modelled in Maya, I created the body using the reference images I had created. I retopologised the head using the quad draw tool in Maya.
Modelling the robot: I modelled the robot using hard edge modelling techniques and polygon primitives to create the individual sections of the body. These parts remained separate to help give the character a more robotic movement when animated. Instead of modelling the robot directly from the reference images in Maya, I instead placed the Postman into the scene and turned him into a template, allowing me to create my robot in the exact same proportions. This also allowed me to reuse the exact same skeleton I had set up for the postman to rig the robot.





Textures: Top is Post Bot, Bottom is Postman


Final 3D Models


Postman Turnaround




Post Bot Turnaround

After receiving feedback on how the two characters were too similar, I changed the Post Bot's textures to give him a more robotic appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment